Final act

Dearly Beloved, we gather here today to mourn the demise of my dear, sweet Nikon Coolpix w100. 😭 The little camera has served me well. In the end, mostly the video buttons were responding with the photo button responding sporadically. Here are the final vids taken with the w100.

The moray eel may look menacing, but it went into hiding, so no worries. I also saw a couple of what Google Lens told me was a lizardfish, but they're supposed to be tropical, so what are they doing so far north? They were just sitting there on top rocks, not moving at all. Great for taking pics. LOL There were also some needlefish swimming along. I didn't see any squid, tho.

https://youtu.be/J6a6yesp_jg

While the maker boasts that the camera works well underwater without the need of a separate waterproof case, what they neglect to tell you that water can seep in through the mike and other nooks and crannies that we can't do anything about. It looks like that's what happened to my little Nikon. ☹️

I still had an older version of the same camera. To my surprise, the sucker sprang to life when I put the battery in, despite being neglected for a few years. So, I went out to buy a waterproof case, just in case some of the waterproofing on the inside deteriorated. I found a case that said 10M waterproof, but the warning on the back said to not to be used underwater. But the case is supposed to be waterproof 10 meters underwater. Hmmm?🤔

Anyhoo, I stuffed the older camera into the case and off I went back to rough cape since I saw some cool soft coral inside the tetrapods. I've never seen them before since that portion can only be reached when the tide is out and the water is calm. I'm not about to swim in with the waves crashing up against the walls.

The case worked well and I was able to take some pretty cool vids with the old camera. It doesn't look like water seeped in at all. If I do decide to get myself a new one (or second hand one since the price of the same model is more than double what they used to cost when I got the w100), I'll probably keep it in a waterproof case.

Aside from the pretty coral, I was pretty excited to see a moorish idol. I see butterfly fish, but not many of these pretty things. The boxfish are so comical to watch, how they swim away, turn round, look at you, then swim away again.

https://youtu.be/KbHowKboXaY

Although the visibility wasn't great, I did get to see a moorish idol and pretty coral. The water was super calm and the tide was out. All's good 😁









Here's Engima's ear worm tossed in. Play this in the background while watching my vids 😂

https://youtu.be/GC_mV1IpjWA

How was your weekend?

Comments

Popular Posts