Okinawa trip - day 5 - Murky

 

Okinawa trip - day 5

Murky

I wanted to go snorkeling again, so we looked for somewhere to go. I found a secluded beach that promised clear visibility and abundance of fish. The beach was on one of the neighboring islands connected by a bridge. The area looked promising when we were looking online. But as we were driving, we noticed that the water was rather choppy and kinda looked murky. No bueno, yo.

Since the beach we went to was secluded, there were no parking lots, shops, lifeguards, or shower facilities, just like one of the beaches I go to. People just park along the side of the road. We got there early, so we got a good spot. There's a gate closing off the path to the Ukun Beach, but the bars are spaced out so people can walk through easily. The gates are for preventing cars to go down the path. There was a concrete ramp leading into the water. I guess people brought boats down at one point but parts of the ramp got damaged and can't be used for boating anymore.

Just as we feared, the water was really murky. We couldn't see anything, but we were able to see some fishies along the rocks. So much for clear water with great visibility. The water did clear up somewhat the further we got out from the shore. There was a bunch of pretty bright blue fishies but they were tiny. I didn't get the "swimming in an aquarium" feel. My buddy was saying that the spot looks great for a BBQ, tho. Maybe he'll come back with guys from work and have a BBQ party.

There were some cool-looking corals and driftwood that I wanted to bring home with me, but I needed to leave room in my suitcase for the t-shirts my kids asked for, plus other goodies I planned to pick up for myself and the office.

We left around 3pm and were surprised to see people just starting to show up. Kinda late in the day for the beach, you'd think. But then, days don't start early in Okinawa. It was getting close to dinnertime by the time we got home and showered. Dinner was a burrito bowl take-out. Since I was still a bit wet from the beach, the a/c was too cold to eat in.

It was another evening of movies, then bedtime.

 Aug 30  

Comments

Popular Posts