Wet weekend


. . . and not in a good way.

It's another 3-day weekend in Japan, Sunday being the Autumn Equinox and Monday observing the holiday.

The weather was on the wet side this weekend. The weather on Saturday was cloudy, but windy and the waves were rough, so no snorkeling. I went to a market held at a bakery parking lot. The bakery invited other vendors to sell their wares. I got my pretzel fix, but I also learned the flowers that bees harvested pollen from influenced the taste of honey. I tried one made from cherry blossoms and I really noticed the fragrance of the cherry blossoms in the aftertaste. I tried other types of honey harvested at different times of the year and they all tasted different. I got myself a bottle of the cherry blossom one. I also got some cheese from another local cheesemaker.

Sunday was morning market day. The clouds were dark and heavy, but the market was still on, so I decided to drop by for a soup breakfast. The main attraction at this market is a fruit tart made by a local and popular cake shop and restaurant. People come to the market bright and early to line up to buy a tart. I staked out a spot in the line, then went to the soup stand for some breakfast. The stand had rolled cabbage that day, so I went to the bakery stand, got me some rolls, a cup of Ethiopian coffee for another vendor, and a cabbage roll.

I went back to the line, got myself comfy, and started digging in. The cabbage roll was yummy! The wind was picking up just before I sat down, but it started to rain just as I finished eating. I don't think rain mixed with sea water would've been much of a flavor enhancement. I'm glad that I always keep a rain poncho in my scooter. Rain nor wind will deter people determined to bring home their prize for getting up bright and early on a dreary Sunday, in this case a tart. It was entertaining to see umbrellas flipped inside out by the strong winds. The winds were so strong, even the seagulls sought shelter in a little cove.

After successfully scoring a fruit tart, I went to the sea wall to see how the waves were crashing up against the rocks. It was raining off and on, and the waves were merrily splashing up against the rocks and sea wall. I was taking a vid of the waves and there was this cop on a scooter calling out to be careful. I got splashed a couple of times, but there's no way I could fall in and get swept away since I had to stand tippy toe just to see over the wall. I already had my poncho on, so there's no worry about getting wet.

Even tho the sun is still hot, the winds are getting chilly. Sadly, it looks like fall is making itself known and starting to chase summer out. I do hope I'll get a chance to go snorkeling and at least try out my new action camera underwater once this year, even if I have to wear a wetsuit. But, I'm not holding my breath.

How was your weekend?

JN63JPN  9 Sep 23 Save  Edit
 

Comments

Popular Posts