Clouded view

It was totally beach weather today, so I decided to hit a different beach that literally translates to "rough cape." The water did look calm clear as I approached the beach, but holy shite! The rough waves did a number on the visibility! Some parts more than others.

The water at this beach is usually a bit colder than the other beaches I go to in Hayama. I had to get out of the water to change into a thicker rash guard that I was glad I brought with me.

Despite the poor visibility, I still saw a lot of fishies, even some that I normally don't see all that much. I saw some purple frilly thing but Google Lens couldn't tell me what it was. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I saw quite a few Japanese parrot fish and spotted knifejaw. The knifejaw tends to be pretty skittish and hide whenever they see something huge approach them. Little sergeant majors were swimming around, as usual, but I haven't seen big schools of them. There were the harmless Mikado jellyfish floating around. These jellies have ridges that shine in rainbow colors when light hits them. They can be really pretty. I saw a pretty big pod of tiny squid. I did manage to capture a vid, although it could be hard to tell what those dark little pointy thingies are. LOL This area is also known for seeing schools of sardines swimming around, so I saw a few of them, too.

The particles floating in the water made it difficult to get any decent pics, but still, I was pretty thrilled to see that pod of squid and the spotted knifejaw. Visibility sucked, but I still had a good time in the water.

On my way to the beach, I saw a banner saying "takomeshi" (rice with octopus). That sounded mighty good, so I decided to stop by there for lunch. The shop sells locally caught seafood (abalones, horned turbans, clams, fish, octopus, etc.) and wasn't an actual diner. They did have seating over by the fishing port across the street. Man, was the takomeshi good! So was the miso soup served with it. If I wasn't too full or too tired, I would've stopped for ice cream. But, I had some shaved ice after I got home and took a nap.

Comments

Popular Posts